8.29.2005

Chain blogs? At least it's about books...

A fellow RCA pastor "tagged" me to answer the 5 questions below. This seems to me like just a souped-up version of "forward this email to 10 people if you love Jesus," but I like the questions, so here goes.

1. The number of books I have owned.
I confess, as a bibliophile, I have a spreadsheet to keep track of (and find!) my books, with a "Have" vs. a "Have read" column.
I have about 1150 books.

2. The last book I bought.
"Well-intentioned Dragons," by Marshall Shelley. Published by Bethany in the 80's.
A book for pastors on dealing with church politics issues. Somewhat helpful; very therapeutic!

3. The last book I finished.
Same as above, but for variety: "The Lord's Service," by Jeff Meyers. Published by Canon press, 2004. Best book on worship I have read, though I disagreed with a few minor details. Worship is an enacted service where God feeds us, and we renew the covenant He has made with us. The first few chapters linking OT sacrficial system to present-day order of worship are worth the whole book. God calls us into His presence, cleanses us, consecrates us with His Word, communes with us in His sacrament, and commissions us. Each of these has a parallel in the tabernacle/temple system.

3b. I'm going to cheat, since I've been reading several 30-page booklets lately.
I also just finished "Freedom's Holy Light," by Peter Lillback, on the American Founder's self-professed reliance on providence in establishing this country. New ones for me: our written peace treaty with Britain in 1783 begins: "In the name of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity." Whoa! Also, the first prayer of the Continental Congress in 1774 ended thusly: "All this we ask in the name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son, our Savior. Amen."

4. The book I am currently reading.
One?!
Don Quixote, by Cervantes.
Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
The Invitation System, by Iain Murray. (Interesting critique of Billy Graham Crusades)
The Reformed Pastor, by Richard Baxter.

5. 5 books which mean a lot to me.
The Holiness of God, by RC Sproul
The Institutes of the Christian Religion, by John Calvin
Mother Kirk, by Douglas Wilson
Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis
Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien
God in the Wasteland, by David Wells
Shepherding God's Flock, by Jay Adams

Hey, who's counting?!

5b. Bloggers I'm passing this on to:
Honestly my list of blog friends is quite small, and includes pretty much all those who have already tagged me or been tagged by others. So I'll continue my tradition of flouting all the demands to pass on chain letters, electronic or otherwise. Sorry to be a stinker!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your list, Steve! We share some similar reading habits. Keeping track of your library by software is both very cool and a little "ocd"ish...I may have to do that!! ;)

    ReplyDelete