10.01.2019

The Bible Has Answers in Our Grief

This past Saturday 4 of my nephews and nieces were in a tragic and fatal car accident.

My 22-year-old niece was driving and died of internal injuries, and my 13-year-old nephew has skull fractures and they still don't know if he'll make it.  Another niece and nephew, younger, escaped with only bruises and broken bones.

When the shock subsides and the grief begins to set in, where do you turn for answers?


In one sense, of course, there are no answers.  We don't know specifically why God allows such tragedies.  He makes us walk by faith, not explaining everything for us now, giving us promises that won't be fulfilled until after our death.

But God has not left us without hope.  And He gives certain and sure answers to the most important questions we will have.  We find hope and answers primarily in God's Word, the Bible.  Our hope is in the God who has acted faithfully, most centrally in the resurrection of Jesus the Christ, and He recorded those acts, what they mean, and God's further promises to us in the Scriptures.  Speaking of the Scriptures themselves, Paul says in Romans 15:4: "whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope."

So I make no apology for a long post with a lot of Scripture.  As one of the family, and a minister of the Word, I can't think of something I want more right now than that my family and anyone grieving today trust God as He speaks in His Word, and trust what He says there. 

Our thoughts and feelings vacillate wildly in grief and that is normal. 
These are not always direct and complete answers, but we trust God that they are enough to trust Him for now.
This is home base to come back to.  THIS is what we need to hear and where we need to go for refuge and comfort in such times.

I've started each section with questions we can have in italics.


1. Does God know how much this hurts?  Does He care?
John 11:33-36
when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled. 34 And He said, “Where have you laid him?”
They said to Him, “Lord, come and see.”
35 Jesus wept. 36 Then the Jews said, “See how He loved him!”

Isaiah 53:3-4
    He is despised and rejected by men,
    A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief...
    Surely He has borne our griefs
    And carried our sorrows;

Psalm 130
    Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD;
    2      Lord, hear my voice!
    Let Your ears be attentive
    To the voice of my supplications.

    3      If You, LORD, should mark iniquities,
    O Lord, who could stand?
    4      But there is forgiveness with You,
    That You may be feared.

    5      I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
    And in His word I do hope.
    6      My soul waits for the Lord
    More than those who watch for the morning—
    Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

    7      O Israel, hope in the LORD;
    For with the LORD there is mercy,
    And with Him is abundant redemption.
    8      And He shall redeem Israel
    From all his iniquities.

Psalm 42:5-6, 9
    Why are you cast down, O my soul?
    And why are you disquieted within me?
    Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
    For the help of His countenance.
    6      O my God, my soul is cast down within me;
   9      I will say to God my Rock,
    “Why have You forgotten me?

Psalm 56:8
    You number my wanderings;
    Put my tears into Your bottle;
    Are they not in Your book?

Job 1:11-13
Now when Job’s three friends heard of all this adversity that had come upon him, each one came from his own place... For they had made an appointment together to come and mourn with him, and to comfort him. 12 And when they raised their eyes from afar, and did not recognize him, they lifted their voices and wept; and each one tore his robe and sprinkled dust on his head toward heaven. 13 So they sat down with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his grief was very great.


2. Is there life after death?  How can I make sure I have it?
John 11:25 - [Jesus to Martha at Lazarus' tomb:]
I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?

1 Corinthians 15:51-57
Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed—52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
    55      “O  Death, where is your sting?
    O Hades, where is your victory?”
56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.



3. What is happening now to our loved ones who have died trusting Jesus?  Where are they?
Revelation 7:9-11
After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, 10 and crying out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” 11 All the angels stood around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God...
“These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them. 16 They shall neither hunger anymore nor thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any heat; 17 for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”

2 Corinthians 5:1-7
For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Revelation 14:13
Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on. “Yes,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them.”

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep,  lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.
15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

John 14:1-6
Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.


4. Where do I go, who do I go to, for comfort?
Psalm 46:1-3
    God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.
    2      Therefore we will not fear,
    Even though the earth be removed,
    And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
    3      Though its waters roar and be troubled,
    Though the mountains shake with its swelling.

Psalm 23
    The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    2      He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
    He leads me beside the still waters.
    3      He restores my soul;
    He leads me in the paths of righteousness
    For His name’s sake.
    4      Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil;
    For You are with me;
    Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
    5      You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
    You anoint my head with oil;
    My cup runs over.
    6      Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    All the days of my life;
    And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
    Forever.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."


5. Does God really know me?  Will He bring us to Him after and through trouble?
Isaiah 43:1-7
    “Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by your name;
    You are Mine.
    2      When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.
    When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,
    Nor shall the flame scorch you.
    3      For I am the LORD your God,
    The Holy One of Israel, your Savior...
    5      Fear not, for I am with you;
    I will bring your descendants from the east,
    And gather you from the west;
    6      I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
    And to the south, ‘Do not keep them back!’
    Bring My sons from afar,
    And My daughters from the ends of the earth—
    7      Everyone who is called by My name,
    Whom I have created for My glory;
    I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”


6. Can I really trust a God who does this to me, or who allows this to happen?
Job 1:21
    Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
    And naked shall I return there.
    The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
    Blessed be the name of the LORD.”

Romans 8:18, 28, 34-39
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.... 28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.... 34It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written:
    “For Your sake we are killed all day long;
    We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”
37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalm 139:1-5, 16
    O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
    2      You know my sitting down and my rising up;
    You understand my thought afar off.
    3      You comprehend my path and my lying down,
    And are acquainted with all my ways.
    4      For there is not a word on my tongue,
    But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.
    5      You have hedged me behind and before,
    And laid Your hand upon me.
    16  Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
    And in Your book they all were written,
    The days fashioned for me,
    When as yet there were none of them.


7. Why does God let such awful things happen to His children?
1 Peter 1:3-9
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment