9.17.2020

Writing My Congresswoman

 I just sent this to my congresswoman, Elissa Slotkin, in response to a letter touting her Congressional service.


Dear Congresswoman Slotkin,

Thank you for your August 30 letter to your constituents, making your case for re-election.

 

I wanted to write and let you know why I will not be supporting or voting for you in November.

 

I appreciate your service to our country, bi-partisan focus on the mission, and desire for decency in politics (which I note as a criticism of our President).

 

Here are my top concerns about your letter.

 

 

1. Health care.  You speak of the need for a solution, but there are many different proposals, and you do not specify what yours is.  Will it involve more government requirements, intrusions and regulations in the private market, or less?  Since you are a Democrat, I fear it is the former.

 

 

2. You speak of returning “$1 million owed to our residents from the federal government.”  I’d like to hear more about this.  I usually suspect this to be code language for pork projects you got for our district, but you give no details.  I disagree with your assumption that it’s a good thing to get Washington to spend more money on us locally.  Congress needs to be spending far LESS overall than it currently is.

 

 

3. What you don’t say: Equality Act.  Your party leaders are pursuing this vigorously, and it threatens religious freedom.  Do you support the aggressive LGBTQ+ agenda which seeks to force cake bakers and other artists to celebrate lifestyles they disagree with?  What if the shoe were on the other foot?  Would you want a politically “progressive” graphic artist forced to take a client who wanted to produce an anti-abortion message?

 

 

4. What you don’t say – abortion advocacy.

Abortion is not about reproductive rights for women, but about life for the child.  In no other ethical case do we say that my right to choose a course of action is justified when it deprives someone else of their life.  We need justice for babies in the womb, who are being killed by the thousands daily with our society’s endorsement.  Thinking less of a person because of the color of their skin is racist and a moral evil.  Destroying a living person in the womb is an atrocity no society should justify.  When will we recover our moral outrage at the great evil of abortion?  Please reconsider your position on this issue.

 

 

Thanks for your service as our Congresswoman,

 

Pastor Steve Hemmeke

No comments:

Post a Comment