11.16.2012

Walk the Line


Proverbs 4:10-13
"    Hear, my son, and receive my sayings, 
          And the years of your life will be many. 
    11      I have taught you in the way of wisdom; 
          I have led you in right paths. 
    12      When you walk, your steps will not be hindered, 
          And when you run, you will not stumble. 
    13      Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; 
          Keep her, for she is your life."


Several of us have been or will be on the road. Solomon speaks of a road in these verses, calling his son to walk in the way, the road, of wisdom. We need drivers training before we get behind the wheel, to learn the rules of the road. Children sit in the back seat observing for many years. So verse 11 says, “I have taught you… I have led you.” But obedience requires action. We don’t just watch, read, and think. Solomon assumes action in verse 12: “When you walk… when you run.” Obedience takes motion, movement. The heart moves in faith toward God the Father, and then the body moves in obedience toward our neighbor in love.

7/1/12

No comments:

Post a Comment