1.05.2021

A Church Live Stream Experience

Last Sunday, I was on vacation from duties leading worship at my church.  I'm a pastor but I became a participant in a live stream church worship service.


The result was really enlightening.

We had plans to attend another local church for a change of pace.

But the snow fell a few inches deep the morning before.

So the first question is, how easy is it to give up on physically getting to a church for relatively minor reasons?  So many believers around the world sacrifice and risk so much to get to a worship service with other believers.  Was I wimping out?  I felt guilty, but I'm not sure I was.

My plan A church for tuning in didn't work - they usually have a live stream going on Sunday mornings, but didn't this week.  I was all ready with my bulletin and a few hymnals, to follow along.  Oh, well.  So I went to plan B, the church I intended to visit in person, and they were on, so we stuck with it.

There's a weird thing.  Having 2-4 options (I had a plan C and D ready), depending on which one's tech works or what you prefer on a whim.  Is that really church?

Next weirdness: how engaged are you?  I was really proud of my family at this moment.  Once we tuned in, they closed their eyes when the pastor prayed, they sang when the song came on.  Even though it was only six of us in our living room!  It would be so easy to see it as a video to watch, like a movie, as a consumer.  But it was a real event we took part in.  That's very important.

My wife took notes on the sermon as she always does.  It was an edifying and convicting message.  We could have done with Communion, but those who say it's "not really church" aren't quite right either.  If you engage with it properly, it can be.

I'd encourage you to get to church physically this Sunday.  Only stay home and participate online if there is a severe restraint.  It is worth it to be with the saints.  If you need to stay home, engage as fully as you can with the online options you have.  Do not forsake the assembling of the saints! (Hebrews 10:24-25).

No comments:

Post a Comment