12.10.2021

More on Grove City College

As the parent of a freshman at Grove City, I was concerned when I became aware of an article asserting Grove City was going woke.  My student had independently told me of a chapel talk or two that seemed off to him.  When I read the president’s response, I had a very different reaction to it than the American Reformer article.  To me, it seemed solid, not “limp.”  I wondered if I was missing something.
 
Now with Carl Trueman’s article, I’m confirmed in my continued trust in the college’s direction.  He clarifies even how the mistake was made in the chapel talk speaker.
 
This is an important lesson for conservatives, who tend to shoot their wounded.  It’s a lesson I’ve re-learned recently in my own ministry.  When we are afraid that the whole world is going woke, we are too quick with accusations and mistakes made by “our guys” when it even SMELLS like wokeness to us.

Let’s not turn on each other.  Be careful not to circulate false reports (Exodus 23:1).  There is a whole cottage industry of ANTI “social justice warriors” cropping up on the right.  These "discernment bloggers" often seem more interested in raising an outcry, or making a name for themselves, than in getting at the truth.
 
Especially on a college campus, beware of accusations that CRT is being discussed in book studies, classes, etc.  Of COURSE it is – it should be!  But the accusations are usually made with the insinuation that the admin or faculty involved are advocating it.  On 90% of campuses, that is probably true.  But why would we get upset when faculty like Carl Trueman raise the issue with students?  I think it’s wise to “ban the teaching of” CRT in high school.  But do we want to cry foul when it’s even raised on a solid college campus, even if the goal is to refute it?
 
Again, it seems there is a kernel of truth among the avalanche of assertions.  Tisby should have been disinvited.  The president could and should still say so.  But I’m going to be gracious, knowing they probably vetted him before he went crazy woke.  Unless more Tisby types keep speaking at chapel, I’ll hold off making such assertions against Grove City, and encourage others not to slander the name of a good institution that we should be cheering on, not cutting down.

No comments:

Post a Comment