8.09.2022

Theology for Normal Life

So here’s something interesting.

 

In one pastoral situation a week or two ago, I found it helpful to refer to Philippians 4:2

"I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord."

 

Then, a week later, I was preaching on Christology and my studies led me to Philippians 2:5-11 – Jesus humbling Himself, considering the interests of others before Himself.  We are to have that mind.

 

Then the next day I read this, connecting 2:5-11 and 4:2.  Paul explains massive doctrinal truth partly to appeal to two women to get along, agree, and reconcile.  (He also applies it to the Judaizing problem in 3:1-11.)

 

This is why it is important to read Scripture in context.  Theology is for everyday, normal life, as the article title asserts.  We are meant to learn the high Christology, so that we will live properly with others, love our neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment