8.17.2023

Peter // Detransitioners // A Dumb Generation

2 Peter

Chapter 1
God has given us His Word to live for Him and escape the corruption of sin.  Add obedience to your faith.  I'll keep reminding you of all this, because I'm about to die.  We saw Jesus transfigured in person, but YOU have the Word even more sure, in Scripture.

2
You have false prophets among you, as Israel did.  But God knows how to deal with them - just consider the demons.  They are irrational, lustful, boasting, devouring.  They drag into corruption those just barely escaping it.

3
Scoffers will come, doubting what God has told you, but the day of the Lord WILL come.  So be holy.  Attend to the Scriptures, even Paul's which are hard to understand (!).  Grow in the grace of Jesus.



"I feel like I'm left to just, like, accept the scraps of the life that I could have had.... I'm angry.  I'm sad.  I'm consistently questioning, like, why this happened to me - how did this happen to me?.... I don't want to use the word 'indoctrinated,' but I was young, and I was sad, and I was impressionable, and I thought this would fix everything."

"Perhaps the vast majority of these youths are suffering from discontent unrelated to their biological sex - or, like the young in every generation, are in a phase of experimentation - and do not require life-altering hormones and surgery to 'cure' them."

"Providers must consider whether for a certain portion of youths who seek to transition there are other mental-health factors to treat as well - or instead."

"As many as 80 percent of gender-dysphoric children ultimately experience 'desistance' - or coming to terms with their biological sex without medical intervention."



Mark Bauerlein has written a sequel to the Dumbest Generation: "the Dumbest Generation Grows Up."  Reviewed in First Things.
It has become passe to label Millennials snowflakes, yet instances are too hard to ignore.
The "combination of grandiosity, ignorance, and fragility," their "thriv[ing] on 'tools and toys, games and gossip, photos and memes, self-promotion' " is legendary.  They "lack the interior solidity needed to understand others' motivations, to keep steady amid the topsy-turvy of the market society around them - or even to rebel meaningfully against that society."

This is not just a sociological question, but a cultural one.  One reason the above is happening is because we are "freeing kids from the 'burden' of Shakespeare and Tolstoy, so they could critically examine anime and The Terminator as 'texts.' "  Even Critical Theorist Herbert Marcuse in 1969, visiting American universities, corrected the radicals: "I don't believe in black studies.... There's a certain amount of material that every intelligent person should learn."

Bauerlein rightly points out that engaging with the Western Canon forms critical thinking.  Ignoring it for gender studies creates indoctrinated, fragile snowflakes who can't see life from another's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment