11.08.2014

Review: Murder on the Orient Express


Murder on the Orient Express
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Decent.

My first Agatha Christie. First murder mystery ever, besides Sherlock Holmes, really.

I don't know if it's fair to compare with Doyle, but the main character detective seemed to lack personality, relative to Sherlock. This is deep detail, who-done-it mystery. The level of detail, then back to the big picture was an interesting move. Don't lose the forest for the trees is part of the message. Who moved where in the car, and when? This needs thinking through, but what's really going on?

There's an interesting ethical dilemma at the end. Vigilante justice is assumed to be permissible, at least in this case. A dangerous precedent, if it is one.

This was a diverting branch-off into something I don't usually read, but I'll stick to theology and kids' books, more, I think.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment