5.05.2016

Richard II

Richard IIRichard II by William Shakespeare

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Shakespeare tells the downfall of Richard II.

At the beginning he sits on the throne but unable to bring peace to two fighting nobles. "Wrath-kindled gentlemen, be rul'd by me... Deep malice makes too deep incision: Forget, forgive; conclude, and be agreed."

But they don't listen. To the king. Richard has lost his grip. He banishes them, but Bolingbroke comes back and attacks and defeats Richard.

Here are some quotes, either famous, or that get across the tragic tenor of the whole play.

"Where words are scarce, they are seldom spent in vain" (II.1).
"The ripest fruit first falls" (II.1).
"Comfort's in heaven; and we are on the earth, Where nothing lives but crosses, care, and grief" (II.2).

"Let us sit upon the ground, and tell sad stories of the death of kings" (III.2).

"You may my glories and my state depose, But not my griefs; still am I king of those" (IV. 1).
"I wasted time, and now doth time waste me" (V.5).
"Pride must have a fall" (V.5).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment