12.11.2018

The Real Feast

"But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment....

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth....

"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world."

John 16:5-8, 12-13a ; 17:20-24


At this table we see the cost of fellowship and a foretaste of fellowship.  The cost we know about the cross.  It is familiar but think again, in terms of fellowship.  The pain born at the cross was not mainly physical, but bearing the wrath of God against our sin.  One way we picture that is being forsaken.  Fellowship is broken.  The Father turns His face away from His Son.  We break the bread to show not just a broken body, but a broken relationship between Father and Son for a time, to pay for our sins.

Jesus speaks of going away to be with the Father.  He is looking ahead past the cross to restored fellowship.  We have the Spirit with us while we look ahead, too, to the thing Jesus wants: as He prays for us He says, "I desire that they whom You have given Me, may be with me where I am, and may behold My glory."

That will be the real feast.

Often the bride at the wedding barely notices the food, she is overjoyed to have a lifetime ahead of her of being with her husband.  Let that be Your communion with Your Lord Jesus Christ today.


So come and welcome to the Lord Jesus Christ.  Take hold of Him.  Rely on Him alone as You receive His grace.

10/14/18

No comments:

Post a Comment