6.21.2022

The Psalmist's Delight

C.S. Lewis somewhere said it was hard for him to like the Psalms.


He was used to ancient Greek and Latin classical poetry, and the Hebrew style was too rough and unrefined for him, or something like that.


Tonight I was reading the Psalms with my family, and I thought of this.  It takes a certain kind of reading to GET the Psalms.  You have to sense where the Psalmist's delight is, among the words, and chase that.  Assume his delight is what you are to delight in, and send your affections where the words take you.

Psalm 89:1 - "I will sing of the steadfast love of the LORD, forever; with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations."

(I want to yell and sing about Your mercy, goodness, and word-keeping to me, to everyone!)


Psalm 89:15 - "Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound! They walk, O LORD, in the light of Your countenance."

(Church-goers find much comfort and rejoicing in the singing of God's people in worship.  They are basking in God's presence and glory!)

No comments:

Post a Comment