11.11.2020

On Honoring Veterans

 I decided last minute to attend my small town's Veteran's Day service at 11:00a.m. today, and I'm glad I did.

After the 21-gun salute and taps, the lowering and raising of the flag, and the pledge of allegiance, about 100 people leaned in on a breezy and brisk overcast day to hear the mayor speak of our debt of gratitude to all who have served in our armed forces.  A state senator and newly re-elected U.S. Congresswoman also spoke.  A couple newly elected officials were also there - I met my new state representative.

These are the kind of social events that knit us together, when politics can tear us apart.  Nothing can make the politicians tone it down and talk nicely like a contingent of seasoned veterans standing before them under a flag.

It also struck me that we elect mayors and representatives not only to speak FOR us, but to speak TO us.  Who can best articulate our values and beliefs about how the world is?  Tell us what is true, then go to Lansing and Washington and enact it into law.


To all who have served our country in uniform, thank you.  Having pastored some of you, I know it comes with its own frustrations and temptations.  But you follow in a long and honored heritage of those working and fighting bravely for a country worth working, fighting and dying for.

No comments:

Post a Comment