6.06.2005

Road Trip - Sara

I thought our recent road trip out west (Michigan to Washington) would provide me with ample time to finish the pair of socks I have been working on since the start of May. Who'd have thunk that 4000 miles in a van with a 3 yr old, 2 yr old and 1 yr old would'nt allow me to knit much? :) When I wasn't feeding or playing with the kiddos, I often found myself driving, relieving my stalwart husband from his job as family chaufer. It was an enjoyable trip, but I found that most of my knitting was done while hiding under the coat rack in our hotel room, waiting for the kids to fall asleep at nap time.

Needless to say, my 2nd sock is 3/4 finished, and now I've lost one of my dpns!! Aaargh. Perhaps it's a sign to start another project?

The kiri shawl was finished in one month flat, and I love it. It's a beautiful salmon-orange color, and if I ever decide to go hunting, I will be safe and fashion savvy. Sitting in the woods in the fall and knitting doesn't sound bad at all. Perhaps a girls-only camping trip should be in the future...

My husband is ready to hide my yarn stash until I finish hand-quilting my king size patchwork quilt. I'd love to finish it soon too, but honestly, who wants to sit under a quilt for hours when it's 80 degrees outside?

What does my knitting future hold? Well, I would like to knit sweaters for my boys (gray/paprika for Isaiah and dk green/paprika for Owen) and then another Kiri shawl in a finer fuzzy black mohair blend. Zoe Mellor's Lacy Sweater is tempting for Grace, but I also have dreams of knitting or crocheting a cute bolero type jacket and sewing a sweet dress to match. That's pretty ambitious.

First I need to find my missing needle to finish these socks - I'm am falling in love with how soft and comfy they are! I have large feet (sz 10 USA) and so most store bought socks are small even before they go through the dryer! I doubt I can knit fast enough to outfit my feet with handknit socks solely (no pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment