8.23.2011

Politics and the Gospel


Here's another "shaving." Something I cut from a paper I'm writing. It just didn't fit there, but it expresses well something I think is important.

I myself am a political conservative and rejoice to find another pastor who is one. But I’m troubled when anyone’s Christianity is defined largely by their political views. God has an opinion on the role of the state, I think, but many Christians don’t understand it, it is hard to get them to understand given so much history and prejudice on the hot topic of politics, and it is ancillary not central to the Gospel. We should have way more grace with political opponents than we do. This does NOT apply to issues that are obviously moral where evil men are devising to subvert God’s law and justice (endorsing abortion, homosexuality, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment