3.24.2013

Review: To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown


To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown by Mary Johnston

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Written 100 years ago as a work of historical fiction, Mary Johnston's book has been "enhanced and edited to reflect the providential hand of God in history and to honor His name."

That kind of thing doesn't usually float my boat, as a literary and historical purist. But I gave it a shot, and it was worth the time.

There were plenty plot twists and surprises to achieve decent "grip," keeping me turning pages. The window into Indian life, and the politics of Jamestown after its survival was more assured, were most insightful, historically. The main plot theme of the marriage keys off the historical reality of a "shipment" to Jamestown of ladies to help the colony thrive. It does well to show there were bad guys and good guys on both Indian and English sides.

Solid, good reading for 12-15 year olds. I almost gave it to my 11 year old daughter, and still might, but there are a few scenes of cruelty.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment