3.29.2013

Review: The Truth of the Cross


The Truth of the Cross
The Truth of the Cross by R.C. Sproul

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is the second book I've read completely on my phone. Not a recommended media, but it was free on Amazon Kindle.

The book itself is highly recommended. Solid truth on the atonement: its need because of our sin and God's justice, its various aspects (debt payment, criminal judgment, ransom payment, curse bearing), and its substitutionary nature (for us).

I have a minor quibble with understanding the merit of Christ in chapter six as Him starting at zero at the beginning of his life and "acquir[ing] merit at the bar of justice." Jesus certainly obeyed His Father actively, but He did this from faith in His Father, and did not have to earn His Father's favor. He already had it, and didn't lose it. His merit (righteousness is better) was in staying faithful.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment