5.07.2013

Consider your ways


Job 31
    1“I have made a covenant with my eyes; 
          Why then should I look upon a young woman? 
    4Does He not see my ways, 
          And count all my steps?
    5      “If I have walked with falsehood, 
          Or if my foot has hastened to deceit, 
    8 Then let me sow, and another eat; 
          Yes, let my harvest be rooted out. 
    13“If I have despised the cause of my male or female servant 
          When they complained against me, 
    14      What then shall I do when God rises up? 
          When He punishes, how shall I answer Him? 
    21If I have raised my hand against the fatherless, 
          When I saw I had help in the gate; 
    22      Then let my arm fall from my shoulder, 
          Let my arm be torn from the socket. 
    24“If I have made gold my hope, 
          Or said to fine gold, ‘You are my confidence’; 
    25      If I have rejoiced because my wealth was great, 
          And because my hand had gained much; 
    29“If I have rejoiced at the destruction of him who hated me, 
          Or lifted myself up when evil found him 
    33      If I have covered my transgressions as Adam, 
          By hiding my iniquity in my bosom, 
    38      “If my land cries out against me, 
          And its furrows weep together; 
    39      If I have eaten its fruit without money, 
          Or caused its owners to lose their lives; 
    40      Then let thistles grow instead of wheat, 
          And weeds instead of barley.” 










This is Job’s last speech where he maintains his righteousness. It is quite a soul-searcher, and so excellent to consider as we confess our sins. Have you looked on a woman in lust? Spoken lies or sought to deceive? Not been fair to those you could take advantage of? Held back from the poor? Chased away those who needed love? Made your money your assurance of good to come? Been happy to see one hurt who you dislike? Wronged people in land deals? Hurt the land itself? Tried to squeeze every drop of gain from people and assets while giving them little to nothing? Hiding any of this from others and from God, like Adam did? God sees all your ways and counts all your steps and every movement of your heart, towards Him or away from Him.

1/13/13

No comments:

Post a Comment