5.28.2013

Impatience. Then Trust

Genesis 16:1-5
"Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. And she had an Egyptian maidservant whose name was Hagar. 2 So Sarai said to Abram, “See now, the LORD has restrained me from bearing children. Please, go in to my maid; perhaps I shall obtain children by her.” And Abram heeded the voice of Sarai. 3 Then Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar her maid, the Egyptian, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan. 4 So he went in to Hagar, and she conceived. And when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress became despised in her eyes. 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, “My wrong be upon you! I gave my maid into your embrace; and when she saw that she had conceived, I became despised in her eyes. The LORD judge between you and me.”


We see much to confess in this story. God had promised Abraham a son to inherit his estate and God’s promises. But none had come. Sarah decides they should take things into their own hands. She is impatient, and so does not do what God said.

She draws Abraham into this sin, and then hypocritically puts the blame on him when it goes sour.

Abraham learns his lesson. Later he is willing to give up his son to God, knowing he will receive Isaac back even raised from the dead so God can keep his promise. At first, Abraham thinks God needs his help to bring the promise to fruition. At the end, he knows that even death won’t stop God’s promise.

2/3/13

No comments:

Post a Comment