7.03.2024

Hamlet - a Review

Hamlet (Signature Shakespeare)Hamlet by William Shakespeare
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 out of 5 stars!

I just read Hamlet again, this glorious print edition we gave to one of my children recently.

Hamlet was a good guy. He wasn’t sure if he should take vengeance for his father’s death, but he did. (Very few are in his situation to do so, as son of the king, though.) He had almost rather died. Thus his “to be or not to be” soliloquy. He stood up as a man, and took cunning, well-reasoned action. All while acting like David, crazy before the Philistines (1 Samuel 21:13). He got the job done, though it cost him his own life.

When you read it, get a good edition with explanatory notes. About ¼ of the lines need explaining! But it is worth it.

Please read Hamlet.

Good quotes:

“Words without thoughts never to heaven go” – Act 3. Scene 3. Line 98
“I must be cruel only to be kind” – 3.4.178
“There’s a divinity that shapes our ends, rough hew them how we will” – 5.2.11
“The readiness is all” – 5.2.194
“I am justly killed with mine own treachery” – 5.2.284


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment