12.08.2013

Review: A Christmas Blizzard


A Christmas Blizzard
A Christmas Blizzard by Garrison Keillor

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Picked this up on a whim at the local library. I've found Lake Wobegon tales quite funny in the past, and this has the same feel, with a Christmas Carol structure.

I laughed out loud a lot. Keillor's skill at writing is quite good.

But the content is atrocious. It is a prime example of post-Christian sentimentality. Christmas robbed of its real meaning, with good feelings of getting along and being good and nice substituted in its place. I don't just mean the real meaning is ignored. It is brought up overtly and subtly rejected, with hints that true believers belong in the asylum.

If most Christian artists produce a good message while the artistic craft is spotty or mediocre, this is the opposite. Great lessons on HOW to write, here, but not WHAT to say.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment