2.02.2024

The Source, Review

The SourceThe Source by James A. Michener
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I’m pretty sure I’ve reviewed this before, as I’ve read this book several times.
I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Written in the heyday of 1960-70s liberalism, there’s a heavy dose of evolutionary thought throughout, especially in the first chapter or two. But Michener’s historical sense, his ability to understand and paint a picture of how people believed and lived from century to century is superb. It is critical to understanding the Bible in its historical context.

His description of the Baal worship fertility cult, Josephus, the Crusades, and the persecution of Jews in Medieval Europe are especially compelling.

Michener makes it a story, so don’t be turned off by the 1000 page length. He gets into the mind of the average person’s way of thinking about God, worship, worldview, etc.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment