1.08.2013

An expanding table


Matthew 8:8-13
"The centurion answered and said, “Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 
10 When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel! 11 And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you.” And his servant was healed that same hour."


This table is expandable. It grows larger over time to fit all of Christ’s body. The Roman centurion had faith not seen by Jesus in Israel. He didn’t expect a place at the Lord’s Table, but God gave it to him. Tables fit a certain number of people around them, but this table fits all who put their trust in the Lord with their children. Many feel like outsiders. Perhaps you don’t feel worthy to be at the Lord’s Table. That is part of the point. You aren’t worthy. You should feel humbled enough to be convicted. And you should also feel the assurance of your forgiveness here. The cup of shame you deserved is taken away. You don’t have to drink it. Jesus drank it for you. You have a cup of joy instead.

8/26/12

No comments:

Post a Comment