1.04.2013

Review: Meet at the Ark at Eight


Meet at the Ark at Eight
Meet at the Ark at Eight by Ulrich Hub

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I found this gem at its publishers bookstore a bit ago and read it out loud to the kids. We have a penguin lover in the house so it fit just right.

There were two isolated instances but glaring errors in the book about God, which I edited out as I read.

The rest was quite funny and offered differing views of God to consider. Is He a strict school marm who makes sure you dot your ps and q's? Or doesn't He much care what we do? Well, neither, really, but the book leaves this open ended. God and even Noah are absent from the story, and some follow up is needed on this. I just read the flood story in Genesis 6-9, and readers of this book would do well to go there next.

For a sampling of the quirkiness, The dove is an overworked "Martha."

As with much mainline Protestant publishing, for young or old, this work mixes imagination and important life questions (the ones conservatives aren't comfortable asking), with error that needs correction.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment