8.20.2013

Review: Hurry Home, Candy


Hurry Home, Candy
Hurry Home, Candy by Meindert DeJong

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



There are only two books I've read aloud to my children, where at the end I was laughing and crying at the same time and could hardly finish, I was so moved. The Lord of the Rings, and Hurry Home, Candy.

Meindert DeYoung is highly recommended reading for young people... and adults!

This is DeYoung's home run. It was read to me by Mr VanWyngarden in fourth grade, after recess (settle-down reading time). It is probably my best memory from elementary school.

The stray dog, Candy, meets with lots of troubles and heartaches as he seeks a home. Two children take him in, but he isn't quite housebroken. Their mother gets angry and swats and pokes him with a broom when he messes the floor. He is traumatized, from being punished, for the rest of his life.

But the "great, good man" enters his life, and things change.

This is a Gospel-saturated story, exploring how we fear and are reluctant to accept grace. How we have a hard time getting over condemnation.

Please read this book! If you struggle with the truth of Romans 8:1, you NEED this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment