10.24.2016

Don't Assume Room Temperature

Revelation 3:14-16, 19-21
These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth....19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne."


The Laodicians lived between hot and cold.  The next town over one way had hot springs; the next town over the other way had cold mountain water flowing through it.  The two waters met near Laodicea and became uselessly lukewarm.  

The point, like the water, is clear.  Do good for others.  Either healing with hot springs, or cooling with refreshing hospitality.  Jesus knows your works and your heart.  

To go with a kitchen example, We need to be plugged in to the power source, to be the fridge or the oven, to give others a cold drink or a piping hot apple dumpling.  If a hurricane hits, or if we just unplug from the Lord out of apathy, we all tend to assume room temperature, and turn moldy and gross. 

Instead we are called to zeal and repentance, and Jesus will come in to us and eat with us.  We need only make room for Him.

Let us confess our sins before almighty God.

10/23/16

No comments:

Post a Comment