9.25.2023

Rivalry

I had a fascinating experience after church yesterday.

I wound up throwing a rubber ball back and forth with a 2 year old boy from the church for a couple minutes.  It was going swimmingly - a nice, slow bounce so he could react in time and catch it, and he'd throw it back the same way.

Then big brother (5) showed up.  He wanted to play.  Great, I said, take my place.  

He did.

Little brother had the ball.

He got this mischievous grin on his face, and wound up to clock big brother with it.  A small level of chaos ensued, the ball careening around the room.  Ah, boys.


Conclusions:
When a sufficient level of authority is present, people restrain and behave themselves.  Like when you pass the police on the highway.

When rivalry is present, people tend to do irrational things to justify themselves or attack others.  My catch partner was perfectly happy throwing the ball nicely with me.  But he wanted MORE.  We all do.  Discontent with the happiness God gives us, we chase for more in the wrong ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment