2.20.2006

Random thoughts - part I

Here are some responses to an old acquaintance, asking about my views as a Christian and a pastor. Some of it might not make sense, as it's just my side of the conversation...

Teaching, changing assumptions, sociology
Yes, I find people very upset when you challenge the idea that if they dream it they can do it. I take it as an inherent self-ishness built into us. "Who are you to tell me I can't..." When in reality we are very much creatures of habit and routine, and when we lose too much certainty in life, we basically go crazy. I relate that to being creatures of God. He has made us with limits, though very capable of growth, too. But we are generally quite frail. Look at the increased suicides in New Orleans, as an example. We don't realize how much of God's sustaining power and grace it takes just to keep us sane and stable, physically, emotionally, psychologically, and relationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment