9.12.2006

Luther's Prayer as a Pastor

With my "welcome to the RCA" packet came a nice paper with Martin Luther's "Sacristy Prayer" on it. This was good to pray, as I go from one congregation to the next. So in a sense, the packet was well-timed, I suppose:

"O Lord God, dear Father in heaven, I am indeed, unworthy of the office and ministry in which I am to make known Thy glory and to nurture and to serve this congregation. But since Thou hast appointed me to be a pastor and teacher, and the people are in need of the teachings and the instructions, O be Thou my helper and let Thy holy angels attend me. Then if Thou art pleased to accomplish anything through me, to Thy glory and not to mine or to the praise of men, grant me, out of Thy pure grace and mercy, a right understanding of Thy Word and that I may, also, diligently perform it. O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, Thou Shepherd and Bishop of our souls, send Thy Holy Spirit that He may work with me, yea, that He may work in me to will and to be through Thy divine strength according to Thy good pleasure. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment