3.20.2006

The Passion

For my vast readership (!), mostly made up of pastors, it seems, I thought this might come in handy. It's a summary from the 4 Gospels of events from the Upper Room through Jesus' death, for my own study and sermon preparation during Lent and Passion week. I organized it by location (where Jesus was), noting differences between Gospel accounts. Regarding the temple location: there is a tradition that between John 14:31's leaving the Uppper Room and John 18:1's going to Gethsemane, they were praying in the temple, customary to do on Passover night. More on that another time.

This whole thing is kind of rough - you'll have to deal with some grammar and shorthand. And I haven't figured out how to tab yet, so that'll be a bit confusing...

In the Upper Room
Matt 26:20-30
1. Jesus: one of you will betray Me. Judas is it, but no mention of him leaving.
2. Lord’s Supper. Hymn. They go out to Olive Mt.
3. Jesus: you will fall away. Peter: no I won’t
Mark 14:17-31
1. Jesus: one of you will betray Me. No mention of Judas.
2. Lord’s Supper. Out to Olive Mt.
3. Jesus: you will fall away. Peter: no I won’t
Luke 22:14-38
1. Lord’s Supper. One of you will betray Me. No mention of Judas.
2. Dispute over who is greatest.
3. Jesus: you will fall away. Peter: no I won’t
4. Get a purse, bag and sword (??)
John 13-14
1. Washing feet. One of you will betray Me. Judas given bread; he leaves.
2. Teaching: love one another. I go to the Father; I’ll come back for you.
3. I’ll give the Spirit in the mean time.

Temple? - John 15-17
1. Vine and Branches: abide in Me. The world will hate you as it hated Me
2. I’m sending you the Spirit.
3. This will all happen for your own good (15:26-16:16)
4. I come from the Father and go back to Him. Disciples believe.
5. Jesus prays
--for His and Father’s glory
--for disciples’ protection from Satan and sanctification
--for future disciples’ unity to glorify Father.

Gethsemane
Matthew 26:36-56
1. Prayer to take cup from Me. Disciples sleeping.
2. Judas kiss, Peter cuts off ear, arrest.
3. Am I leading a rebellion. Disciples flee.
Mark 14:32-52
1. Prayer to take cup from Me. Disciples sleeping
2. Judas kiss, Peter cuts off ear, arrest.
3. Am I leading a rebellion. Disciples flee. One naked.
Luke 22:39-53
1. Prayer to take cup from Me. Sweat drops of blood. Disciples sleeping
2. Judas kiss, Peter cuts off ear, Jesus heals it, arrest.
3. Am I leading rebellion?
John 18:1-11
1. Judas comes with soldiers and officials from priests & Pharisees
2. Jesus says “I am he” and they fall back.
3. Peter cuts off Malchus’ ear (high priest’s servant)

Trials in Jerusalem
Matt 26:57-27:31
1. Caiaphas and false witnesses fail
2. “Are you the Christ?” Yes. Condemned. Beating.
3. Peter denies; Judas returns money and hangs self
4. Pilate: king of Jews? Yes.Barabbas or Jesus?
5. Pilate’s wife warns. What crime? Crucify!
6. Soldiers mock and hit Jesus
Mark 14:53-15:20
1. False witnesses fail; “Are you the Christ?” Yes. Condemned.
2. Peter denies
3. Pilate: king of the Jews? Yes. Barabbas or Jesus?
4. Soldiers mock and hit Jesus
Luke 22:54-71
1. Peter denies; Soldiers mock and hit Jesus
2. Council of Pharisees & priests: tell us if you’re the Christ.
3. I’m Son of God. Condemned
4. Before Pilate, accused of opposing payment of taxes to Caesar;
-- and claims to be Christ.
--a. Are you a king? Yes. I find no basis for a charge.
--b. Galilean? Sends to Herod.
5. Herod: happy to finally meet Jesus. Many questions, no answers.
--a. Herod & soldiers mock
--b. Friends with Pilate again
6. Pilate: no basis for a charge from me or Herod.
--a. No, give us Barabbas!
--b. Pilate appeals for Jesus 2 more times! “No grounds for death”
--c. Gives in to their insistence.
John 18:12
1. Peter denies; Annas questions; taken to Caiaphas
2. From Caiaphas to Pilate (nothing about Caiaphas’ questions)
3. Pilate: are you king of the Jews? What is truth?
--a. I find no basis for a charge…
--b. Flogging; soldiers mock
--c. I find no basis for a charge. Crucify!
--d. I find no basis for a charge (3 times!)
--e. He says He’s the Son of God. Closer questioning.
--f. You’re no friend of Caesar; we have no king but Caesar
--g. Here is your king. We have no king but Caesar.

Golgotha
Matt 27:32
1. Simon carries His cross
2. Offer of wine with gall; refuses
3. Cast lots for clothes
4. Sign: King of the Jews
5. 2 robbers
6. Mockery: said you were going to destroy the temple.
--a. Come down if you’re Son of God
--b. Priests and Pharisees: saved others but can’t Himself.
--c. Robbers mock, too
7. Darkness from noon to 3pm
8. 3pm: My God, My God.
9. Sponge of wine vinegar to drink.
10. Death, temple veil torn, earthquake, tombs opened; resurrections
11. Centurion and those with him: this was the Son of God
12. Women watching
13. Joseph of Arimathea buries
Mark 15:21
1. Simon carries His cross
2. Offer of wine with gall; refuses
3. Cast lots for clothes
4. 9am crucifixion
5. Sign: King of the Jews
6. 2 robbers
7. Mockery: said you were going to destroy the temple.
--a. Come down if you’re Son of God
--b. Priests and Pharisees: saved others but can’t Himself.
8. Darkness from noon to 3pm
9. 3pm: My God, My God.
10. Sponge of wine vinegar to drink.
11. Death, temple veil torn
12. Centurion and those with him: this was the Son of God
13. Women watching
14. Joseph of Arimathea buries; Pilate surprised he’s dead already
Luke 23:26
1. Simon carries His cross; women follow
2. Jesus: don’t weep for Me but for yourselves
3. 2 robbers with him. Crucifixion.
4. “Forgive them”
5. Cast lots for clothes
6. Mockery of priests and Pharisees: saved others but can’t Himself.
7. Soldiers mock and give wine vinegar.
8. 1 robber mocks, other defends & confesses
--a. Today you will be with me in paradise
9. Sign: King of the Jews
10. Darkness from noon to 3pm
11. 3pm: My God, My God.
12. Temple veil torn
13. “Into Your hands, I commit my Spirit.” Death.
14. Centurion: this was a righteous man
15. Women watching
16. Joseph of Arimathea buries
John 19:16-42
1. Carries own cross
2. Crucified with 2 others
3. Sign: King of the Jews, in 3 languages, near the city. Jews’ protest
4. Cast lots for clothes
5. Women watching; Woman, here is your son…
6. “I thirst” – wine vinegar. He drinks.
7. “It is finished” Death.
8. Jews ask for bodies to be taken down. Jesus’ legs not broken.
--a. Side pierced: blood&water
9. Joseph and Nicodemus bury Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment