8.23.2014

Review: Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God


Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Great.

I only read the third section, on evangelism, about 55 pages, in preparing for a sermon. The other sections address why we should evangelize if God is sovereign.

A solid and biblically grounded review of evangelism. It is not the same as conversion, but aims at it. We represent Christ as His ambassador, and speak truth about Him, inviting others to turn away from sin and trust Him as their Savior and Lord. We do this to glorify God and love our neighbor. I thought the way Packer addressed limited atonement in actual evangelism was excellent. (Hint: Calvinist Whitefield and John Wesley considered each other fellow evangelists.)

I read the first edition, written 50 years ago. There is some dated stuff on revival/evangelistic meetings. There may be an updated revision that addresses this.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment