8.16.2014

Review: Freedom and Boundaries: A Pastoral Primer on the Role of Women in the Church


Freedom and Boundaries: A Pastoral Primer on the Role of Women in the Church
Freedom and Boundaries: A Pastoral Primer on the Role of Women in the Church by Kevin DeYoung

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Outstanding.

This book was written for congregations and their leaders who are asking whether women should be in leadership positions of the church.

With his characteristic grace and clarity, DeYoung backs up his "no" answer with biblical support. Looking to Genesis, Jesus, 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy he makes a solid case. The part on slavery in the Bible is probably controversial, but I thought very well done.

Main strength: DeYoung knows the opposing argument well, answering most objections I've heard from those who support women in church leadership roles.

Weakness: I'm not sure the head covering section was needed, though it is okay. I disagreed with his take on deacons in 1 Timothy 3:11.

It still gets 5 stars, mainly because several churches where I grew up are asking this very question right now. Why SHOULDN'T women preach and be elders in the church? This book lays out the Biblical answer.

Unfortunately, it is out of print! I got my copy by writing University Reformed Church in Lansing, MI, and explaining why I wanted it. They had some copies and sent me one. Ask, and you shall receive!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment