2.5 tribes east of the Jordan are roughly across the Sea of Galilee.
Levites received no land inheritance, except for cities and small pastures.
Caleb asks for Hebron, to drive out the rest of the giants. He is 85.
Judah's land is described, and they take many well known cities, but not Jerusalem.
How this is about Jesus
- He heals the demon possessed man across the Sea of Galilee, beginning to retake that land for God.
- Christian Levites sold the land they had after Pentecost, since Jesus promised that the meek shall inherit the earth. The land promise is extended to all the world; the nation or land of Israel is no longer a unique promised blessing from God for His people, anymore than all the nations.
- Jesus comes from the tribe of Judah and the lineage of Caleb. He defeats THE giant that remains in the land and in our hearts...
- Receiving blessings from God leads to work. Surveying, fighting, stewardship, etc.
- Don't think you are too old to be of service to the Lord - look to Caleb's example.
- There will always be things you don't get accomplished, that have to wait for future generations, like Jerusalem in this text.