8.19.2015

Trim Healthy Papa? Someday...

Trim Healthy MamaTrim Healthy Mama by Pearl P. Barrett

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I avoid nutrition books like the plague.
I also almost never review a book unless I've read the whole thing.
But I couldn't resist on this one.
I only lightly read two chapters, and I was pleasantly surprised. Fitting with common sense and basic medical facts (my wife assures me), the authors are also quite well grounded biblically. Here are two examples:

“Daniel turned down the king’s meat because it was not killed according to God’s laws and was also offered to idols. This is why Daniel stated that it ‘defiled’ him, not because he thought vegetarianism was a better way of eating” (pg. 46).

“You cannot go back to an Eden body state… you cannot purify your body or heart through avoiding animal foods [or any specific food, I think the authors would add]…. God sent Jesus Christ, and the shedding of His blood to purify us. Nothing else can do it” (46).

They also quote 1 Timothy 4:1-3, which should be in more diet books: “Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.” The emphasis is theirs.

This is highly refreshing in a world of bizarre and theologically off base diet and nutrition plans, and theirs is simple enough for this nutritionally illiterate country boy to comprehend. They DO keep the Levitical laws, thinking they are there for health, with which I disagree. But they are very non-pushy about this, and it isn't integral to their plan, which is also really refreshing.

Bon appetit!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment